St John’s Cathedral

St John’s Cathedral
12

Key Building 12 · Church Street

St John’s Cathedral


St. John’s Cathedral occupies an Anglican site used since 1681, with earlier timber and brick churches preceding it. After the 1843 earthquake, Governor Sir Charles Augustus Fitzroy laid the cornerstone for the present freestone building, opened in 1847 and consecrated in 1848. Designed by J. Fuller of Bath, its pitch-pine interior, twin towers and iron gates frame statues of St. John the Divine and St. John the Baptist, captured from a French ship bound for Martinique in 1756.