Ebenezer Methodist Church
Methodism was introduced in Antigua in 1760 by Nathaniel Gilbert, Speaker of the House of Assembly and owner of Gilbert’s Estate, after hearing John Wesley preach in England. Three slaves kept the preaching alive after Gilbert’s death until new leadership arrived. The first chapel was built in 1786. Once it became too small for the congregation, the foundation stone for the present structure was laid in February 1837, on land granted by the Legislature. It was dedicated in February 1839. Ebenezer is an old biblical name that means “Hitherto hath the Lord helped us.”

Like other churches in St. John’s, Ebenezer was badly damaged in the 1843 and 1974 earthquakes and extensively modified in 1936, 1955, and 1972. It was nearly demolished following the 1974 earthquake but in 1982 underwent major repairs and strengthening. It was also declared a Historical Building.

