Government House
Government House became the official residence of the Governor in 1801. Like so many historic public buildings, it has grown organically over time as subsequent generations have added to it. In 1841 it was described as “a genteel West Indian residence, possessing some good apartments and having its stabling and outbuildings upon a respectable scale.”

Beginning in 1996, several attempts were made to restore the building. The work was finally completed in April 2026.
In 1800, the building was owned by Thomas Nosbury Kirby and was known by the community as the Parsonage House, probably due to its proximity to the Cathedral. The house was rented by the Government as the Governor’s residence for Sir Ralph Payne, Lord Lavington, who arrived in February 1801. In March 1802, it was decided by the Assembly to add a large hall with two rooms above. In August, Kerby offered to sell the house and land to the public for £13,000. In 1860, the Council Room was added.
In 1947, in a book entitled Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest in the British West Indies, A.W. Acworth described the building as having a “chequered architecture but possessing nevertheless three fine interiors dating c. 1800.”
This photo shows the front porch in the 1880s, with the family who lived in the house on the steps.

This is a picture of Government House in the 1950s.

